The Adventurer

A Newsweek description of travel author Patrick Leigh Fermor.  He could be a character in a book.
What life has been lived with more élan? At the age of 18, Leigh Fermor walked from the Hook of Holland to Constantinople—never “Istanbul” to this irrepressible philhellene—a serendipitous, marathon journey immortalized half a century later in the refulgent prose of A Time of Gifts and Between the Woods and the Water. He has secluded himself silently with Trappist monks, fallen in love and run away with a princess, fought for his country, kidnapped a German general, joined a Greek cavalry charge, and swum the Hellespont. The Financial Times considered Mani, his celebrated travelogue on the southern Peloponnese, and Roumeli, its counterpart on northern Greece, “two of the best travel books of the century.”


Comments

  1. While I haven't read anything by Fermor yet, I have several of his books in my Search List.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Search list meaning you are looking for them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shadow Flutter--not yet. It's list of books I want to read sometime down the road. In my blog I have a list of books that are in the queue and books that I'm reading now. When the queue is empty I go to my Search List and starting looking for the top one on the List.

    Right now my queue is empty, so I will visit my Search List and begin looking for the top one, if it still interests me now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I have such a list too. I've been reading Black Lamb, Grey Falcon, as you know. I am also doing online reading of summaries of other travel books, and as I do so I'm realizing there is a certain type of travel book that informs better about the people of a certain area and time than do many history books. So my search list now includes more travel books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i read "Gift" and liked it... and started Black Lamb, Grey Falcon, but West's superior attitude toward the indigenes was a bit off putting, so i sort of abandoned it in favor of a Toyota pick up manual...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mudpuddle,

    I suspect that attitude still exists. We have yet to give the Byzantine Empire its due. The way we talk in the West, or at least in the U.S., you'd think the Dark and Middle Ages blanketed the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

The Fertility Myth "Telepinu"

Book Review: Possession, by AS Byatt

Book Review: Otherland: The City of Golden Shadows

Sara Winchester and Her Mansion

The Driving Test

My Eclectic Reading Interests

The Execution

The History of Television -- Part II

The Purposeless Driven Life

The Lightbulb Man